Saturday, September 02, 2006

all up in my grill

It's the battle of the indoor grills in my kitchen this week. In this corner, my trusty ol' George Foreman grill that introduced me to life with grill marks and perfectly cooked chicken breasts every time. And in that corner, my shiny new Breville indoor grill, which is about twice the size of George but can open flat to form side-by-side griddle and grill panels (just in case I'm channeling my inner Gladys Knight and decide to cook up some chicken & waffles at the same time!)


So what's a girl to do? Although George is older, certainly not as fancy and a total pain to clean, I'm not ready to break up with him yet. Just last week, he and I grilled up some delish steak au poivre burgers from Whole Foods in a mouth-watering snap. But why keep a jalopy around when you've got a Porsche sitting in the driveway? The Breville has more surface area, adjustable grill plates and temperature control (so I can actually choose how I want to cook my food instead of just hitting the "on" button and hoping for the best). But, it's definitely heavier and clunkier than George and takes a lot more effort to lug out of the cabinet for a dinner-for-one grilling night. So for now, I guess they're both sticking around ... waiting to battle another day.

xxx