Sunday, September 03, 2006

you've been served

We had so much fun at the US Open! It turned out to be a beautiful weather night -- no rain and plenty of clear, twinkling starry skies. And the matches ended up being better than I thought for first-round play.


And while the actual tennis was definitely fun to watch, I was also mesmerized by the amazing food options at the tennis center. Forget about those soggy hot dogs and imitation cheese nachos over at Shea! The on-site dining options in the US Open Village represent most of the globe. (Try and name another sporting event where you can choose among sushi, ouzo-marinated shrimp, carne asada, chicken tikka masala and lobster salad!) Everyone from the famed Carnegie Deli to Fulton Seafood Market to Baluchi's Indian cuisine had a booth, which was almost too much choice for an indecisive soul like me. (FYI, I went with Barilla pizza. Not the most adventurous choice, but it was easily portable and sure hit the spot.) Mind you, it ain't cheap to eat. There was basically nothing below $8, except for pretzels and popcorn for about $6 each ... but it's all part of the fun so I parted with my money quite happily. Hope I can get back to a match next week!

xxx