Monday, October 16, 2006

flavor of mexico


Ahhh ... what a glorious week in paradise! My vacation in Cabo was amazing -- from the perfectly sunny days to my comfy lounge chair on the beach to the deliciously spicy food -- it was exactly the break-from-reality I needed. I'll be posting some of our pictures from the trip very soon. So many highlights to tell you all about!

Since today has been a crazy, catch-up day (it's taken me hours just to get through my e-mails!), here's my big culinary discovery from the week -- Mexican Salsa.



Awww, yeah, is this stuff good! I'm forever saying adios to the bottled, saucy salsas from my local grocery store, and hola to the fresh, chunky stuff that I plan to make every chance I get. Each restaurant we visited had a different take on their salsa, some more about the tomatoes, some kicking in a few extra jalapenos, some going wild with garlic. And at each meal, I tried to pick apart the recipe to identify the ingredients that made their version so yummy. So after eating my body weight in salsa, here's the recipe I think is most authentic and simple.

4 large tomatoes, seeded
2 jalapenos, finely chopped with seeds
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 heaping tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper

Combine tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl, and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with tortilla chips.

Enjoy!

xxx